Wednesday, February 01, 2006

In the bag



So here's Triangle before being subjected to the violence of felting. Pretty big, huh? I like this look. When I'm old and homeless with a half dozen cats to feed, this is the bag I want with me. Groovy, eh?

Here we see Triangle just after being rescued from the washing machine. Notice the baby bib, baby laundry and dish towel all trying to muscle into the shot. Cheeky little items.

This is the final product. The pattern does have a little asymmetrical flower that you can knit and felt but I had this pretty groovy pin on hand and decided that it looked cool. (It also provides me with a nice excuse to continue to look for groovy pins.)

So here are the specs for Triangle:

Pattern: Designed at Pick Up Sticks! but purchased through Jimmy Beans Wool.

Yarn: Cascade 220 in colors 9477 (MC) and 2403 (CC)

Needles: Size 10 circular and DP.

This pattern is pretty easy to follow. The exception would be shaping the bottom of the bag when sewing it all up. If you're a visual learner, you won't have any trouble at all. The pattern recommends doing the decorative stitching when the bag is damp. DO IT! I waited until it was dry and it was like pushing a really dull needle through leather. I think the top of my bag is too tall and it could be because I didn't allow it to stay in the washer long enough or I screwed up the pattern. Either is likely with me! I also took too much of the base in so you really can't see much of the contrast color when the bag is sitting.

All in all I really enjoyed this project and have plans to make another one!

Now I need a little blog advise. I'm thinking about moving this blog to Typepad. Anyone out with experience moving from Blogger to Typepad? If so, was it fairly straight forward? If your blog is currently hosted by Typepad, what do you like about it? Dislike? I'd love to year your thoughts!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I love your bag! The pin look terrific on it. I hope to seam mine tomorrow if I can just figure out these seam instructions. It tells you to seam the base 2x?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Your bag is GORGEOUS!!!!! That pin is perfect! Hmmm, you might want to talk to some Type pad users since I know Type Pad has had a LOT of weird issues lately. SOme people have even been migrating to other things to get away from Type Pad...

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

This is a great little bag, different than the other felted bags I've done and/or have seen. Great job!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Latoya said...

I like the bag and the pictures of the before and after. I don't think that you did anything wrong, that happens in the world of felting. At times it can be a mystery. But all in all, I like bag and hope that you enjoy it. That was a good eye to add the pin, too.
Knit on!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on your bag! The pin and top stitching are perfect touches. Isn't felting a hoot?

Have a great Thursday.

xoxoxo-
your SP

11:22 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

The bag is awesome. I like your pin better than the knitted flower thing. It's nice seeing something felted on purpose as opposed to the oops-felted sweaters I pull out of the wash.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Bookish Wendy said...

I love that bag - so cute!

I followed your comment from KnittyGritty - all I have to say is Amen sister!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love the bag! And I love brooch pins too. Sure wish I was of that mind set when my Grandmother passed. She had such lovely pins. But in my twenties I just didn't appreciate them. Now as a 5 year old I loved them!! Where did the love go for all those years?

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home