Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday Week 4: Personal History



Source of inspiration:

My parents. I didn't change anything about this photo. Sort of a "what you see is what you get" affair.

I don't know when this picture was taken, but I love it to pieces. I love the way my Mom hangs onto my Dad's coat. I love how cocky my Dad looks, like he's ready to kick the world's ass. I love that they are both dressed to the nines, even though I know that they struggled to put my Dad through college and have never really been good with money. My parents eloped. My maternal grandmother didn't like my Dad at all so my parents decided it would be better for everyone if they just eloped. My Mom was 18, my Dad 24. They each had dates with different people the night they to get married and they kept those dates. Late into the night, after the pretense of seeing others, they and 2 of their closest friends drove from Alabama into Georgia and were married in the laundry room of a local JP. They drove back that night and kept the marriage a secret for a very long time.

When we look at our parents, we see parents. Sometimes it's hard to believe that there was a time before us, when our parents were people without us. People who struggled and loved and wanted us in their lives with a desperate passion. For me, this photo represents the people that are my parents and I'm happy I know them.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore this picture, do you know where it was taken? What a great wedding story. Love is funny, you NEVER know when and where it will find you, or what adversity you will have to encounter to make it work. Fantastic photo and a fantastic story.

xoxoxo- Your Secret Pal

3:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What a great story and photo - thanks for sharing!

4:05 PM  
Blogger janna said...

This is a great picture, and a great story. My parents were 18 and 20 when they married, and I have pictures of them setting up their first home, the week before the wedding. They look like the teenagers they were (or, in Dad's case, almost was) and they are absolutely adorable. It's funny, because the older I get, the more I can imagine them that age.

Thanks for sharing!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

How absolutely lovely! What a tribute to them.

I found the Japanese books thorugh a friend who machine knits and is familiar with them. The knit along going on for the one sweater was the start of the interest.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Mfardel said...

Gret photo and great story. Isn't it nice, that one part of growing up is realizing that who the people who made us are is really a part of ourselves?

Nothing quite like trying to put thoughts into other people's heads.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

OK, do you like the beer coozie because you like beer? Or you like Kureyon? Thanks for commenting on Tilt, see what happens when you guilt people into it!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

What a heartfelt wonderful story. You told it well and it's easy to see why it's your favorite picture!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Awww. What a great picture and wonderful, romantic story. You can tell they are in love in the picture.

Sweet.

12:45 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

I love the story and your description of the picture is so good ;o) I can just see that in your father's face.

I wonder, do you know who took the picture? I wonder if the expression had something to do with looking 'cool' or 'tough' for a friend?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hey Rhelynn!

I have no clue as to who took the picture. My dad always looked like he was trying to be a bad ass when his picture was taken. You should see photos from his time in the Marines!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home