Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday Week 3: Personal History


Source of inspiration:

This picture was taken over 30 years ago at my grandmother's home in Jasper, Alabama. I'm the kid with her finger in her mouth and my sister is peeking out from behind the bed. The only "doctoring" I did to this photo was to enhance the color. The original was very faded.

My grandmother's home was filled with antiques. The huge bed we're hiding behind was the one my grandfather died in, at home, surrounded by his children. I never knew him. There are other photos from that day; my sister and I jumping on the bed, running around it. It's somehow fitting that a bed that witnessed the end of a life becomes, in later years, the playground of two little girls. I really love this picture.

Edited to add: Donna, Oakman does sound very familiar! I'm sure we drove through it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That is such a lovely and timeless photo. Thanks for sharing!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Such a precious picture. There I go, commenting after Chris AGAIN! I really am not stalking her, really.
I will play the meme game tomorrow! Thanks for the tag.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Donna S. said...

Omigosh, have you heard of Oakman, Alabama? My grandparents lived there....I visited them every summer. Jasper was the big town we went to since Oakman didn't even have a stop-light then. Now, it has one!! :) I loved driving through Jasper in the spring with the dogwood trees!!!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home