Saturday, January 21, 2006

Secret Pal Foo


I LOVE getting mail. I think it's something that no one really outgrows. The anticipation. The warm fuzzy knowing that someone thought enough of you to put even the smallest of items in the mail and send it your way. Very nice. It's even nicer when you're the recipient of the kindness of a stranger. When you participate in a Secret Pal, you're opening yourself up to the generosity of a stranger and, hopefully, a new long term friendship. At least that's how I see it.

LOOK WHAT I GOT IN THE MAIL!

Look how beautifully it's wrapped. There's a little handwritten note, pretty red ribbons on everything and two other notes explaining the gifties. Sigh. I put everything on top of my piano, (it's closed because it's actually cold here tonight. What the hell?) and Boogie just ran around saying "Pesents! Pesents!" Pretty neat. She got to keep a couple of ribbons and she examined the handwritten note. I think it met her exacting standards. Notice how I'm just sort of rambling away here delaying the inevitable picture of everything opened just so you can experience the excitement of opening "pesents" with me. Enough of that. Here's what was inside:

From the left to the right we have 4 bars of dark, organic chocolate; (and let me tell ya'll right now as I begin the long decent into PMS that chocolate is more than appreciated.) Targhee roving, a breed that I have never had the pleasure of spinning but which sent me running to my copy of "In Sheep's Clothing" to see what else I could learn in addition to the incredibly thoughtful info provided by my secret pal and finally, Wilton's Icing Colors. That's right kids, food coloring to dye my Targhee with. Who knew? Did you? I never even considered food coloring when talking about dying yarns, just Koolaid, plants and some scary chemicals that require the wearing of a mask. How narrow-minded is that? I mean, it dyes food. Why not dye yarn? (Hell, we drink Koolaid.) This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. SP even provided instructions on how to do this. Holy crap is that awesome or what? (Let me guess. All ya'll already new about the food coloring, didn't you?) I am blown away. So here's a big public thank you to my SP and I'll send my private love later.

7 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

y'know, I need to do this Secret Pal thing - all I get in the mail is bills! ;-) And, yes, I had read about using Wilton Icing dyes for yarn dyeing, but you know how I'm trying to avoid spinning and dyeing....

See you tomorrow!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, excellent mail. I love mail.

I love the colors you get from Wilton's! In fact, I'm knitting a hat out of some of my Wilton's dyed yarn right now. Just make sure you don't leave any big blobs of sugary icing color if you're going to microwave any of the fiber - it's flammable if the sugar's too thick.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Wonderful package from your SP. I can't wait to get your thoughts on the Targhee- it looks lovely!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I haven't tried the food dyes yet. Maybe when we get some warmer weather up here, my knit buds and I will have to crack out the pots and dye again.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wilton's makes great yarn dye! Shelley from Purl Side of The Moon and I have been on a Wilton's dyeing kick lately. In fact, all of the yarn shown on my post for today was dyed with Wilton's!

And Targhee is one of my favorite things to spin. It's lucious! I think you'll love it!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Oh you must try the Wiltons, it is so much fun. I put a tutorial on dyeing with it on my site. Hope it is helpful. The entry is a few down and you can can see ton's of pictures of the results of Liz and my success with it. I have so much, I haven't even gotten around to with showing all the pictures.

www.purlsideofthemoon.typepad.com

10:40 AM  
Blogger Mouse said...

oooh.. nothing says happy like a big bag of fibery goodness.. dye to dye it with and some chocolate to wash it all down!!! I'm going to have to try this icing dye stuff as soon as I can locate some.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home