Sunday, January 15, 2006

Knitting Foo


Finally, a post about knitting! Let's start with this little gem, Wavy.
I got off on the wrong foot with Wavy but I wouldn't be worthy of holding the title of World's Worst Knitter if every project I started went along smoothly. I'm using some alpaca that my sister gave me for Christmas. I really like this pattern and, even though my scarf will be a bit smaller, all that alpaca snuggled against my neck will feel nice. Of course, it would feel even nicer if the temperature would cooperate and drop about 20 degrees but I'm sure I can find a reason to wear this sucker. Maybe we'll move north.

Ah Triangle. My first adventure in intentionally felting something. At this point, the entire bag is about half-way finished. (I'll give the specs on it once I take a pre-felting pic.) I've really enjoyed knitting this and even though it's stockinette it really is a quick knit. Although I don't think the picture shows it well, the contrast color is a chocolate brown. It's really pretty. Hey, I have a question, should I block this thing before I sew it up and felt it? Any advice about the whole felting experience would be fab.



Last month I talked about re-discovering how much I loved spinning. This humble little ball is the result of that fling. It's a little uneven and the twist did relax though not as much as I'd hoped, but I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I have a bunch more of this stuff to spin up. I don't really have anything in mind to do with this yarn. Maybe I'll give it away or something. In the mean time, I'm lovin' the spin. I think I have some undyed Merino somewhere. I played with dyes a few years ago so I might give that another shot, too. Or maybe I'll take it slow and do a Koolaid dye.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Totally do not bother blocking anything before felting. The washing machine makes all that for naught!

Wavy and Triangle are coming along well. I like the color on your handspun!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Welcome back into the "fold"! Spinning fold that is! What a gorgeous colour that ball of yarn is! What is the fiber? It also looks really well balanced! Keep up that spinning! It looks great!

8:11 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Wavy looks great -- quite 'wavy' this time! ;-)

And I find myself inexplicably drawn to Triangle... maybe light pink and a sort of medium gray..... but I have to finish all this other crap first!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Mouse said...

I usually have to cast on for something that appears to be easy about 3 or 4 times before I get the hang of it. Stupid "basic cable" hat from SNB Nation took me 5 tries before I got it right.. and its name says "Basic" in the title. Duh. At least you keep trying.. and that's the important part!

(and asking about my LYS illicits the same response of "you don't want that rant"..)

9:08 PM  
Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

Don't block before felting...it's a waste of precious knitting time! I love the color combination -- it reminds me of chocolate covered fruit. Mmmmmm.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Kim said...

Yeah! It's wavy now! It looks great and you are coming along quickly. Don't bother blocking before felting - the washer will change all of your measurements - but do block after felting.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

KoolAid dyeing is so much fun! And Boogie can help since it is toxic or dangerous! But it does get hot out of the microwave, so don't let her handle it then.
Love the spinning! Wavy is looking great. I am working with Alpaca too, yummy!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Nice projects! I like the scarf, especially.
P.S. I tagged you on my blog.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home