Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Knitting Confessional

Welcome to 2006 and the first of many installments of the Confessional! Since this is the first day of a new year, there aren't any pictures nor much confession to be had today. (Trust me, pictures of horrible knitting tragedies will come.) Instead, I thought I'd provide a list of knitting resolutions. We know that resolutions don't usually stick, but isn't that the fun of being a bit retrospective this time of year?

1. Consistently swatch. I know, I know; we ALL knit to gauge and just don't need to make that pesky swatch. Let's face it kids, how many of us are that consistent and accurate? I'm not sure I trust someone who's that reliable. Yes, swatching takes time away from the fun of starting the project, but look at it as sort of a toy that enhances the knitting experience rather than a chore that makes you want to blind yourself.

2. Review a pattern before knitting. Do you know how many patterns are published every year with errors? How many hours of frustration that can cause a person? Not only that, think about the most difficult instruction you've ever had to translate. Did it leave you feeling lucky you passed the 1st grade? Deciphering a knitting pattern can be like trying to crack the Rosetta Stone; it can be done but it might leave you broke and sick in the process. While reviewing won't solve everything, it might give you a leg up on your potential screw-ups.

3. Burn your oldest UFO. Seriously. Take a match, some gasoline or your crusty Yule log and say Adios to that thing that you really haven't touched or even thought about in 3 years. Why hang on to it? If the motivation and love are gone, contribute to global warming and set a match to it. Think of it as the ultimate in penance for the confessional. A sacrifice worthy of any of the saints and a quick way to ditch that knitting albatross.

So that's it. Yes, only 3 resolutions. I wanted to at least attempt to be realistic. I'm going to print them out and stick them in my knitting journal right next to a picture of the vest I didn't swatch, the most complicated set of instructions I've ever read and a 10 year old afghan that I just can't part with. See, resolutions do work!

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Gosh, how 'bout I just rip out that oldest UFO instead?! ;)

Happy New Year to you!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, do I have to burn the thing? It just seems so wasteful. Sure, I doubt I will ever go back to knit it, I hate that yarn! But burn it. Do we really need it to be any warmer around here? It was 68o today in Indiana!! Turn the air on already.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Heh, great resolutions! I myself NEVER knit to guage... I knit tightly and always have to change needle sizes, so for me, swatching is a MUST! :)

Hmm, read through a pattern before starting to knit? Hmmm, not likely for me... I must say I have tried it before, but often the instructions make little sense to me until I am ready to tackle whatever is in them. It would help if I at least read a paragraph ahead or something though so when it says "At the same time" I won't have to rip back... I would love to be one of those good knitters that read all instructions before starting, but it just isn't my style. :)

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home