Thursday, December 08, 2005

Spin, Span, Spun


A few years ago I used to spin regularly. I even took a class on novelty yarns. About 11 months ago, I cleaned out most of my fiber stash. I kept my two spinning wheels and some fibers that I just really loved.

I don't know what got into me but I had the strongest desire to spin again! I had a chat about spinning with my friend Annie and with a little encouragement, I dragged out my wheel and decided to go for it.

The roving is combed Merino top from Misty Mountain Farm. This poor roving has seen the dark side of a Rubbermaid tub for a few years now. Okay. I know what you're thinking. You're frightened by the prospect of the World's Worst Knitter attempting to make yarn. As if I don't mangle enough of it without the help of a spinning wheel!

Here's the result. I spun it up on my Joy wheel set at an 8:1 ratio. Probably a little too fast for someone just getting her spinning legs. I found that my treadling was uneven an a little quick. You can see some of the super tight twist on the bobbin. I'm hoping some of that will be dispersed once it's plied. Maybe I'll go back to the 6:1 ratio. Honestly though, I did a whole lot better than I thought I would. More importantly I had a really good time. I missed spinning and now I'm just thrilled to have rekindled that passion. Sort of brings a tear to the eye, don't it?

Now to share another passion wholly unrelated to fiber. I refer to snacks. These may look yucky, but I'm not pregnant and they really are a great treat with cocoa on cold winter nights. Here are the specs:

4 saltine crackers

1 piece of American cheese divided among your 4 crackers

16 marshmallows (or more) divided among your cheesy crackers.

Set under a broiler until the cheese bubbles and the marshmallows turn a golden brown and you've got cheesy/salty goodness. (I like to smash the marshmallows flat before I eat them. This picture was taken in the pre-smashing moment.) My mom used to make these for me when I was a kid. I think they're just "Poor College Kid" snacks but they're pretty darn tasty.

7 Comments:

Anonymous janna said...

I have to keep repeating to myself "I don't need another hobby... I don't need to learn to spin...." I think I also don't need to try the saltine/cheese/marshmallow confection (although replace the cheese with some chocolate, and I might!).

7:11 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh! I'm so glad you pulled out your wheel again! And you are NOT the world's worst knitter. Don't even think that! I can't imagine not spinning anymore. I love it too much to ever give it up!

That overtwist will come out when you ply. ;)

6:26 AM  
Anonymous kelly said...

yeah, you are definately NOT the world's worst knitter. *kick*

11:54 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I think I recognize that fiber! You need to come up for the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. http://www.sheepandwool.org/

12:14 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Gorgeous spinning! It's such an amazing color. Can't wait to see it plyed. :)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Mouse said...

Visiting your blog for the first time :) That fiber is really beautiful.. great colors. I'm _trying_ not to get sucked into learning how to spin.. but a drop spindle and fiber keep calling to me. Something about knitting up handspun just really appeals to me...

8:10 PM  
Blogger yarnmaniac said...

Gorgeous yarn...drool, drool. I can pass on the snax, tho.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home