Sunday, November 06, 2005

Kids, ewes, llamas and car wrecks


Let's cover the car wreck before heading into yarn. Thursday evening on my way to my piano lesson, I was hit from behind by a girl who was in a hurry to get back to work. The good news is that I'm fine, Boogie was not in the car with me and the damage to my car is minimal. The girl who hit me was not injured, but we can't say the same for her car. It's inconvenient and I hate dealing with insurance companies, but both parties in this are fine and cars can be repaired.

Saturday, a group of us went to Boerne for Kid 'N Ewe and Llamas Too. This is usually a nice little event with lots of vendors, livestock, spinning wheels and food. Unfortunately, due to some problems with the contract for use of the fairgrounds, this year's event was a lot smaller than previous years. It was still wonderful because of this stuff.

This yarn is Brooks Farm Yarn . My pictures don't begin to do the colors justice. Seriously. It's just lush and beautiful and the price is outstanding. You are looking at 500 yard hanks. I'm not sure what the blend is here, but most of the yarns are a blend of mohair, wool, and silk. Check out the website for more info. Look, here's more:


If you look very closely, you can see a Clapotis
on display along with the fabulous yarn. All of us
just hung out in there putting hanks around necks to see if the color was right for us, carrying hanks that we weren't sure if we wanted to buy or not but the stuff just felt too good to put down! I was seriously struck by indecision. Here are the two I was considering:

Both are from the "Harmony" line and are composed of Mohair(55%), wool (22.5%), and a silk blend (22.5%). I actually had a project in mind for this beautiful yarn. Well, several projects but the one I'm aiming for is my very first Clapotis. I know what you're thinking. Any frenzied knitter would throw caution to the wind, buy both hanks and see what looks best. I may be frenzied, but I'm not the world's best knitter so I'm pretty conservative when I'm about to drop a considerable amount of money on yarn. (Especially since I used to do a lot of spinning and could probably make what I wanted, if I wasn't so damn lazy.) Anyway, I picked:

These three alpaca! I figure riding them around town is a hell of a lot safer than my car! Who would run over something this cute? I could hitch them to a wagon or something. They get really good gas mileage and their only pollutant actually fertilizes the land! Car manufacturers should take a lesson from these babies.

Okay. I picked this one. I love the goldish/brown earth tones playing against the pinks, purples
and browns. Just beautiful! I think that this will make a really gorgeous Clapotis!


In keeping with the whole Clapotis theme I've got going here, my last picture has to do with my most recent obsession; making beaded stitch markers. Originally, I was wrapping the wire per the instructions on Chris Knits. After some experimenting I changed things up. My wire wrapping leaves much to be desired. I bought myself some better tools, a few more beads and have pretty much lost my mind to making these things! I've branched out into earrings, too!!
This is just too much! Well, they are fun to make and I pretty sure I have more than enough for Clapotis!

I keep threatening to post FO pictures but keep putting it off. My model is teething right now so she's not at her most cooperative. This afternoon we're taking her out for ice cream. My hope is that this will engender a spirit of cooperation and I can at least get one hat on her! In the meantime, I'm going to snap off some pics of little knitted things and get them up here. I know, I'm like a lame husband who promises to do better but continues to drink beer, watch football, and scratch his crotch in public. Trust me honey, the pics are coming and I promise not to touch myself in public any time soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

How terrifying! Thank God you are okay, and the baby wasn't with you. It's scary how quickly things like that happen, isn't it?

That Brooks Farm yarn is amazing stuff. The colors are fabulous.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Susan! Thanks for popping by my blog! I'm so glad you weren't hurt and that your cute little Sprite wasn't with you. She was adorable in her costume!

The yarn colorways you picked are gorgeous! And those alpacas are adorable!

6:28 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

I'm glad to hear you are none the worse for wear from you accident.

The Brooks farm stuff is amazing. I'm opening a yarn store in Katy, and I begged her to sell wholesale. No dice.

Amy

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home