Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Through the Looking Glass

I asked a blogger that I regularly read to post a question for me. ( The blog is Knitty Gritty http://www.knittygritty.net/ ) The question was:

Here's the question: Has blogging about knitting (or just blogging in
general) enhanced your knitting? If it's blogging has been a benefit
to your knitting, how? If not, why?


The question was posted and I've really enjoyed reading the responses. The part that's a bummer is that it's on somebody else's blog, not mine. I didn't post it here because, quite bluntly, I have no readers and am not really part of the online knit/blogging community.

An interesting side effect of the responses is that a lot of people are talking about the culture of blogging, i.e. being part of a larger community, rather than simply responding to the question. I suspect that the reason is simple: the two are very much intertwined.

I think I'd be a total wimp if I didn't answer my own question. For me, the answer is a resounding yes and no.

My knitting has been enhanced in that my curiosity was peaked by what others were working on. That curiosity led me to surf the web, find more blogs, patterns, yarn...etc. No because it takes time away from knitting and family with minimal return.

Am I whining because my humble blog goes unnoticed? As I've said before anyone who doesn't get a kick out of receiving a comment here and there is either dead or a liar. So I suppose a little whining is present. At the same time, I don't exactly go out of my way to find readers, commenting on every little aspect of someone else's life in the blogs I read. That, it seems to me, is how you get folks to read your blog. The day is just too short for me to make the effort.

I think this question was interesting and I've really enjoyed reading the responses on Annie's blog. A big public thanks for posting it!

6 Comments:

Anonymous janna said...

What do you mean, you don't have readers??? I even read some random back posts! Of course, I'm not a blogger, unless you count the internal one at work, which, of course, doesn't interfere with my knitting time, since they look down on knitting at the reference desk.... (And welcome to our little knitting group!)

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Rhonda said...

I think you pose an interesting question to bloggers. I often wonder, as a knitting nonblogger, how anyone who reads multiple blogs ever gets any knitting done. I get so caught up in them, and the links to other interesting sites, that I look up and realize it's not time to knit . . . it's past time to get back to work, go to bed, check the roast, or something.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Hi Scooter! I came here from Annie's blog...Great thought f blog provoking question. Especially since I'm feeling a bit of blog ennui myself!
Lucky for me, I can read while I knit so I'm able to keep up with the "community".
I'll be back to visit if that's ok?

12:58 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh I forgot, I love your blog name :)

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Meribeth said...

I'm here frim Annie's blog too. Rest assured, I will be here everyday, but I may not post.

I love blog, esp. knitting blogs. First thing every morning I read my knitting blogs to help brace myself with intelligence, humor and just nice folks. I need that to be able to face the insanity.

This is like calling up girlfriends over the first cup of coffee!

9:15 AM  
Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home