Sunday, April 03, 2005

Reading is fundamental

especially when it comes to knitting patterns. I'm knitting along, very pleased with myself that Baby's dress is progressing so nicely, when I realize that I had completely misread the pattern. Hours of knitting, which are very hard to come by when one has a small child, have just been flushed down the knitting toilet. I wanted to die. As I saw it, I had three options: 1) rip back to the error and plug away, 2) cast on again and just start over, 3) throw a big hissy fit, cry, and vow never to make anything even remotely difficult again.

As I've mentioned before, dear reader, I'm not the most adventurous of knitters. Sewing, hell yeah. Knitting, not so into risk taking. I was determined not to be hampered by my inability to accurately read a pattern. So, after a little bit of option 3, I just cast on again and started over. (I have more than enough yarn for that option.) This dress will not defeat me, although it does make me cast a longing glance toward my very spiffy sewing machine, or, at the very least, consider that Baby really only needs a baby-size scarf from her mommy. Or maybe a simple, baby size hat. Even a poncho!

I cast on, knit a couple of rows, and read ahead in the pattern VERY carefully so I don't make a similar error. We'll see how it goes from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home