Sunday, April 17, 2005

Poor Me

Today is simply a pity party. Big B is out of town for the whole of next week and I miss him terribly. (He flew out only this morning.) This is the first time we've been apart since Baby was born. He's worried about us; I'm worried about us and him. I think we'll be fine, but I'm a little nervous. My car started running hot on the way back from the airport. We just had the damn thing repaired, too. I'm sticking to short trips all week and just hope for the best. I just hate car trouble.

Knitting, well, making good progress on the Dress project. I have a hat going for Big B and I'm thinking about starting some socks for him.

Taught my co-worker to knit Friday. You know, saying you "taught" someone to do something implies that is stuck with your student. I'm not sure I can say that here. I'm confident that every single knitter out there was pretty awkward the first time they picked up some needles. The pattern directions are confusing, figuring out a comfortable grip on the needles can be dicey at best, and starting with crappy materials can really add to that frustration.

Well, this chick's first mistake was the "crappy materials" one. She didn't want help looking for anything and I had the distinct impression that she knew what to look for from the pattern she'd chosen. Boy, was I wrong. This poor girl is VERY concrete. The directions said look for a "ball" of yarn. That's exactly what she looked for and, when she found that yarn is not sold in nice, round balls, it threw her. Let's take this same concrete individual and try to teach her to knit. I'm pretty sure you can see the struggle brewing here.

It wasn't that bad, I guess. I left her with some better yarn, (not the "ball" of cotton she'd brought) and suggested she try larger needles to more easily see the stitches. We only worked on casting on and the knit stitch. Purl stitch? Are you high? That's a lesson for another day.

Anyway, I'm feeling sad, lonely, and not entirely in the mood to knit. Just whine. And eat chocolate. And wait for Big B to call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home