Monday, April 25, 2005

Just a random thought or three

I'm leaving my job this year. I've mentioned before that I wanted to leave and may have even written that I have a new job to go to, but I'm leaving this one. I've worked here for 8 years, practically right out of grad school, and I feel like a fish out of water.

In this current job, I work 20 hours/week and have summers off. In my new job, I'll be working during the summer and make twice my current salary with absolutely no change in the numbers of hours I'll be working. Let me say that again: twice the salary with no increase in hours. Not too bad.

So why am I sad about this? Well, the hard truth is that I'm sad that I've left no mark on this current job. I've had some of the worst parents imaginable, really tough kids, and my co-worker, (the one I taught to knit) seems to believe that I work for her. She doesn't communicate ANYTHING to me and, in fact, makes snotty remarks about working part-time. Okay. One snotty remark...........and we eventually talked it out. She feels better, it still chaps my ass.

What does this have to do with knitting? Not a whole hell of a lot except that knitting has recently become my constant while the world seems to fall apart around me; while I feel like I'm falling apart with it.

After a lot of soul searching, I decided that having my summers off just wasn't worth this amount of bull. (There's more, but why waste more blog space on it than it truly deserves.) So I'm going to knit, not second guess myself, and be the best possible mommy I can. That's all anyone can do, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home